On our journey towards defeating debt, one of the ways that we cut expenses is by NOT eating out. This takes a little more work on my part, but the money that we have saved has been staggering! I have also challenged myself to keep our grocery and household purchases to a minimum of $100 per week for our family of five (SIX during the summer). This has forced me out of my comfort zone and into exploring new recipes that will adjust well to the weekly “SALES”. I also love things that freeze well so that I can pull it out and cook up a super yummy but QUICK meal….. ergo, BOURBON STREET CHICKEN! =)
Bourbon Street Chicken
- CHICKEN (I use whatever I find on sale) OR 8 chicken thighs or 4 breasts cut into bit size chunks OR a flat of chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- Add all of the above ingredients to a freezer bag. Squish it all up, let all the air out and freeze it flat or throw in the fridge to marinate for 6 hours before cooking.
- If frozen, thaw overnight or in a warm water bath.
- BAKE at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
**It can also be cooked in a crock pot on low for 6-8 hours
I serve this over a cooked white rice with a splash of soy sauce, a salad, and oven roasted veggies since they can be thrown in the oven together! =)
****TIP : If you don’t have a few of these ingredients on hand, there are easy substitutes that you probably do have. An example, for apple juice – you could use pineapple juice instead. If you don’t have garlic salt, use garlic powder and salt to your liking. =) Comment below or use your friendly Google to ask about substitutions!