So, its cold and flu season and I have had several friends request this recipe, so today I would like to share with you how I make my Homemade VICs or Vapor Rub. Its fairly simple to make and we LOVE this stuff. I, personally, use it on my children as well… but if you are just getting into oils, you may want to be cautious when applying to make sure that no one has a reaction and that the dilution is heavy enough for your specific lil love, as everyone’s body make up is different and we can all react differently to all kinds of stuff. Remember, essential oils are medicinal — respect their powerful properties, educate yourself, and use with caution but do not be scared to dive in.
At some point in the slow process of switching my family over to this new – more natural, conscious lifestyle, I would keep regular Vics and Baby Vics on hand just in case someone got sick… that is until I realized that it is petroleum based… YUCK! …. I do my best in what areas that I can, to insure that we using the best ingredients for our health and Petroleum just isn’t natural…. not to mention what other chemicals are in the OTC stuff. So if you are trying to live a lil more healthy, save a lil money, and have all natural stuffs to put on you and your family…. this could be a good place to start in your medicine cabinet.
Michelle’s Breath Vapor Rub
- 2/3 Cup of Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp beeswax pastilles
- ¼ tsp Vit E Oil
- ¼ tsp Cornstarch
- 15 drops of DoTerra Eucalyptus
- 25 drops of DoTerra Breath
- 10 drops of DoTerra Peppermint
- 10 drops of DoTerra Rosemary
1. Combine coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax in glass jar
2. Place glass jar in a half filled pot of water and place on high heat (DO NOT BOIL WATER FIRST OR YOU WILL BREAK YOUR GLASS JAR)
3. Boil Water and stir mixture frequently
4. Once melted, remove from heat.
5. Pour into the jar you tend to store the vapor rub in (this makes approx 4 oz)
6. Slowly stir in cornstarch – stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
7. Cool until you can touch comfortably for several seconds
8. Add Vit E Oil and Essential Oils to the jar and mix
9. Put lid on once cooled and store at room temp.
If you are not into oils and would like to jump in, please feel free to contact me and I would love to help you get started. Please know that not all essential oils are equal and you DO want to be cautious about the brand you use, simply to ensure that you are receiving high quality, tested and certified, Therapeutic Grade Oils. I personally LOVE DoTerra but I also trust Young Living’s quality, so I recommend sticking with those two brands if you are new or just looking for somewhere to get started.